Previewing clipping maps and animated texture maps in the view windows

Hi guys,

I'm coming back to EIAS for the first time in years and years for a little animation project I'm working and there's a couple of things I'm unable to figure out.

Firstly, is it possible to preview clip-mapped objects in the view windows without having to render with Camera? At the moment, all I'm seeing in the top, front, side and camera views are the solid Uber Shape planes that I've applied the clipping maps too, so in order to compose my scenes, I'm having to render, reposition, render, reposition, etc.

Secondly, is it possible to preview animated texture maps in the view windows. At the moment, I can only get the first frame of my QuickTime texture maps to display. I don't need real time playback or anything like that, I just want to be able to see the current frame of the texture map at any given point in the timeline, so I can aim the camera and track some of the elements in the changing texture map. At the moment I'm having to use trial and error and have to keep checking my results by rendering with Camera, and I'm progressing at a snail's pace.

Hopefully it's just a case of changing a few settings/preferences somewhere. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

James

Ola,

Welcome Back James!!

You can see a texture applied in the model, so, it will guide you if the placement is correct and where its, but you cant see a clipped model in the viewports by a texture.

Turn on the check box:

post-5-0-99505500-1336141878_thumb.png

Then with the right click of the mouse, you will see the contextual menu, you can choose all groups of the project to show textures.

post-5-0-97157100-1336141888_thumb.png

Dont forget to let all viewports in Hardware mode and Phong shade.

Thanks

Tom

Thanks guys for the quick replies. I'm running Animator 8.0.0 on OSX 10.4.11 on an old G5 PPC. I already had Display Texture checked, but if I can't see clipped models in the viewports or the current frame of an animated texture map I'll be flying blind - I really need to be able to see something in the viewport so I can compose my shots quickly and easily. At the moment each Uber Shape plane is blocking the ones behind it in the camera view. I think transparency maps can't be seen either - is that correct?

My clipping maps are alpha maps I've made from photographs of trees, buildings, etc. Perhaps there's a way for me to create a flat mesh shapes from them instead, either in Animator or a 3rd party application? Any suggestions.

I've shot some simple left right tracking shots with my video camera that I was hoping to recreate in Animator. It would have been very easy for me to mimic the camera movement just by aiming the virtual camera at the animated characters in my animated texture maps if I could have seen the current frame in the camera viewport. Is there another way for me do this? Match moving just deals with pan, tilt and roll if I'm not mistaken, not tracking shots.

Thanks,

James

Ola James!

Animator will display in the viewports the first diffuse texture in the stack of the Diffuse tab only.

Do you want to see your background movie (Shot by your Camera) in the Camera Viewport? so, you need to add it in the Roto/Comp tab, background area:

post-5-0-06635800-1336153867_thumb.png

Then, in the Camera viewport, Rotoscope Icon, Choose the background you want to see:

post-5-0-88119500-1336153920_thumb.png

After that, If you want to see in motion, move your timeline with Option pressed in the keyboard, the Background movie will change over time...

Hope that helps!

Thanks

Tom